Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Review - The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa

Title and Author: The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: August 1, 2010
Paperback: 359 Pages
Genre: Young Adult, Fantasy
Summary:
Half Summer faery princess, half human, Meghan has never fit in anywhere. Deserted by the Winter prince she thought loved her, she is prisoner to the Winter faery queen. As war looms between Summer and Winter, Meghan knows that the real danger comes from the Iron fey—ironbound faeries that only she and her absent prince have seen. But no one believes her.Worse, Meghan's own fey powers have been cut off. She's stuck in Faery with only her wits for help. Trusting anyone would be foolish. Trusting a seeming traitor could be deadly. But even as she grows a backbone of iron, Meghan can't help but hear the whispers of longing in her all-too-human heart.

Review:

I’m always both excited and a little worried when I start reading a sequel of a book I really liked. I worry it will not live up to my expectations but gladly The Iron Daughter did.
I loved the whole mythology and action in The Iron King and was afraid The Iron Daughter wouldn’t be half as interesting but it definitely was!
The book starts with Meghan fulfilling her promise to go back to the Winter Court with Ash. I don’t want to write too many spoilers here so I’ll just say that there’s a lot of action in this book again and once more the action sequences are very well written and engaging.
All the characters I came to like so much are back - Meghan, Puck, Ash and even Grimalkin – and they remain true to themselves. I still love all of them as much or more as I did before. They all have a great journey to make that changes them in a way or another.
There’s more romance in this book than in the previous one and is that forbidden and beautiful kind of romance. Even though I really like Puck and a part of me is sad for him, I couldn’t help but like reading about the romance and Meghan’s choices. I thought the intensity of her love didn’t really have a stable base at first, though, but I think that changed by the end of the book.
All in all, I enjoyed The Iron Daughter just as much as I enjoyed The Iron King. It’s a well written, fast paced, interesting book that kept me curious until the end.
I can’t wait to read The Iron Queen now and find out what happens to this characters I came to like so much.

Rating: Somewhere Between Well Worth Your Time and Must Read ( 4 ½ Stars)

5 comments:

  1. Like you, i was hesitant about picking up the sequel to The Iron King (didnt that book just kick ass?) but i'm with you on saying that The Iron Daughter lived up to the hype :)

    Diana
    ps. YES! by the end of the book I definitely went from Team Puck to Ash... don't judge me ;) haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @The Lovely Getaway
    I won't judge you because that happened to me! I was so sure I would be team Puck but then I realized I was actually team Ash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Iron Queen...and just you wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that the Ash/Meghan relationship did develop more in this one, which was good because I thought it was awfully sudden in book 1, but I am still Team Puck :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I really love this series as well; I feel for Puck too; He's a really cute/funny character. I do feel though that Ash and Megan belong together.
    -Cali W.

    ReplyDelete