Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Review - Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma

Title and Author: Forbidden by Tabitha Suzuma
Publisher: Definitions
Publication Date: My 27th, 2010
Paperback/Hardcover: 432
Genre: Young Adult




Summary
She is pretty and talented - sweet sixteen and never been kissed. He is seventeen; gorgeous and on the brink of a bright future. And now they have fallen in love. But ...They are brother and sister.

Review:

It took me a while to write this review, mainly because Forbidden took me in a very intense emotional rollercoaster.
This story is definitely capable of getting to you and challenging you emotionally, intellectually and psychologically.
Maya and Lochan are two teenagers who have assumed the role of parents for their three younger siblings after their father left them and their mother became absent and started to drink.
Maya and Lochan were forced to grow up too fast so they could take care of their siblings. Too much responsibility was bestowed put upon them and they quickly realize that by being forced to deal with things they shouldn’t they have grown closer and closer to each other. They eventually realize that their feelings have developed beyond the kind of love you feel for your brother or sister.
Maya and Lochan are drawn to each other and fall in love even though they know their relationship will be seen as wrong and that it can never be discovered unless they want to see their siblings being taken away.
Lochan was my favorite character. He suffers from severe social anxiety and can only truly relax when he’s with his family. He’s sweet, though; extremely intelligent and willing to do whatever it takes to keep his family together.
Lochan completely won me over and I could practically feel his despair and confusion when his feelings for Maya started to develop. He was such a complex character, I think it was impossible for me not to like him.
What I liked about Maya was the fact she was also willing to do anything for her family. Maya’s sweet and loyal and maybe a bit selfish at times.
Maya and Lochan’s relationship and love is beautifully written. Their feelings come across as real and incredibly deep and it’s almost impossible to think about it as wrong.
I think you, like me, will find yourself rooting for them and wishing something good would happen so they could be together.
I saw the end of the book coming but it still affected me.
Tabitha Suzuma has created a wonderful and intense story about a strong love that blossomed under very disastrous circumstances.
Forbidden is a heartbreaking book that will make you think. Lochan and Maya captured my heart and I believe they will do the same to you.
The book deals with a taboo topic and I know a lot of people will stay away from it because of that but I don’t think the goal of this story is neither to condemn nor to condone a relationship between siblings. Its goal is simply to make you think about why some kinds of love are accepted and others are not.
You should definitely give this book a chance. Go read it!

Rating: Must Read (5 Stars)

6 comments:

  1. I have this on my to-read list. It seems a thoroughly capturing book with plenty of food for though. Can't wait to read it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very VERY interesting topic, but if the characters are strong and the story is right, then it works. And it seems like it did for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard nothing but good stuff about this book, but I'm terrified to read it. I can't help but feel like they'll lose against the world no matter what . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I pick up this book it kills me but I probably wouldn't like it if it ended any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book... Owwww, this book!! No other book has made me cry so hard... and probably none will. Simply beautiful. If this story does not reach your heart... then I hate to tell you, but you don't have one!

    ReplyDelete