Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Review - Moonglass by Jessi Kirby

Title and Author: Moonglass by Jessi Kirby
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Publication Date: May 3rd, 2011
Paperback/Hardcover: 232
Genre: Young Adult

Summary:
I read once that water is a symbol for emotions. And for a while now, I've thought maybe my mother drowned in both.

Anna's life is upended when her father accepts a job transfer the summer before her junior year. It's bad enough that she has to leave her friends and her life behind, but her dad is moving them to the beach where her parents first met and fell in love- a place awash in memories that Anna would just as soon leave under the surface.

While life on the beach is pretty great, with ocean views and one adorable lifeguard in particular, there are also family secrets that were buried along the shore years ago. And the ebb and flow of the ocean's tide means that nothing- not the sea glass that she collects on the sand and not the truths behind Anna's mother's death- stays buried forever.

Review:
Once I read the summary of this book, I immediately wanted to read it and I have to say I enjoyed it quite a lot. The characters, the ocean and the almost overwhelming feeling of loss drew me in completely.
Moonglass is the story of Anna, a teenager haunted by the night of her mother’s death. When her father decides to move because of his job, Anna leaves her grandmother and friends behind and moves with him. While making new friends, Anna discovers there’s a lot she doesn’t know about her parents and, most of all, she starts learning about life itself.
I liked Anna and I think it was easy to relate to her and understand why she felt like she did. As the plot developed Anna learned accept and make peace with things she already knew but couldn’t admit.
The friends Anna makes are great as well. Ashley, Jillian and Taylor all bring something to the story. They are all very different from one another and it was nice reading about their developing relationships with Anna. I have to say I especially liked Taylor and his relationship with Anna. He was a nice guy and, even though his relationship with Anna never takes central stage in the book, I liked reading about them together. They fit well together.
The ocean plays a big part in this book, which I appreciate. The ocean is an extremely strong force.
Moonglass is well-written and a captivating read. This book can be happy and sad almost at the same time. It is emotional, mysterious and funny at times as well.
I think anyone will be able to relate to Anna and want to read about her struggle to deal with all her feelings of loss and blame and with the changes in her life.
All in all, Moonglass is a wonderful book. It is a fast, entertaining and captivating read. It made me want to be able to walk the beach in search of sea glass and, of course, moonglass. :)
If you like YA and the beach, you will definitely en joy this book. If you have suffered a loss, I think you will be able to relate to Anna and her feelings as well. Either way, I would recommend this book to everyone out there.

Rating: Somewhere Between Worth Your Time and Must Read (4 ½ Stars)

2 comments:

  1. Like the cover. I've read a few books with lots of buried family secrets that are finally revealed in the end. In fact, I'm about to review one too. Thanks for bringing it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Review! I really liked this book. I live by the ocean too and I loved how the main character collected sea glass. I liked how there was a bit of humor to buffer the sadness in the story.
    -Cali W.

    ReplyDelete