Sunday, January 15, 2012

Review - Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini

Title and Author: Starcrossed by Josephine Angelini
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: May 31st, 2011
Paperback/Hardcover: 487
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal
 
Summary:
How do you defy destiny?
Helen Hamilton has spent her entire sixteen years trying to hide how different she is—no easy task on an island as small and sheltered as Nantucket. And it's getting harder. Nightmares of a desperate desert journey have Helen waking parched, only to find her sheets damaged by dirt and dust. At school she's haunted by hallucinations of three women weeping tears of blood . . . and when Helen first crosses paths with Lucas Delos, she has no way of knowing they're destined to play the leading roles in a tragedy the Fates insist on repeating throughout history.
As Helen unlocks the secrets of her ancestry, she realizes that some myths are more than just legend. But even demigod powers might not be enough to defy the forces that are both drawing her and Lucas together—and trying to tear them apart.

Review:
Starcrossed is a great book with and interesting story that kept me well entertained and interested.
The story revolves around Helen, a beautiful 16 year-old girl who lives in an island. She has always known she was different – she’s stronger and faster than anyone else she knows and she gets this cramps when people notice her. Until the Delos family moves to Nantucket and crash into her life she has no idea how truly different she is, though.
I really liked the characters in this book. I think all of them brought something to the story and I’m glad for the fact they are all so different from each other. Besides the main characters Jason was one of my favorites.
Helen is the main character and she’s my kind of heroin. She wanted to be able to protect herself without having to rely on anyone even though she was a little reluctant to learn how to fight. She’s smart, resourceful and definitely a good friend. I really enjoyed reading about her and couldn’t help but to want this to work out in her favor.
I really liked Lucas as well, of course.  He was sweet, romantic, caring protective and strong all at the same time. His interactions with his family were great and his urge to keep everyone he loves protected made him even more perfect.
The relationship between Helen and Lucas developed in a perfect way, I think.
Another thing I really liked in Starcrossed was the Greek Mythology. I always liked mythology so I was definitely excited to see that it plays a big part in the book.
All in all, this is a great book with a gripping and interesting plot and well-developed characters. It is well-written and easy to read. I couldn’t put this book down, I simply had to know what would happen next. I can’t wait to read the next book in the series now.
I’m sure any Young Adult and Paranormal fan that likes and is interested in mythology will be able to enjoy this book immensely.

Rating: Must Read (5 Stars)

7 comments:

  1. This wasn't my favorite book by any means (I'm not much of a paranormal fan) but the plot moved so fast and kept me absorbed that I just flew through it and was completely caught up in what was happening-fun story! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard that it doesn't make much sense and messed up Greek mythology references. It's been on my to-read list on Goodreads for awhile, but I don't think I'm going to read it now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I haven't read this, but a friend did and really did not enjoy it. I'm glad that you seemed to have a much better time with it. :)

    Alexandra~
    http://www.wordsoftheworlds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quite keen to read the next one in the series too. I enjoyed this one but I didn't think it was anything extra special. I found some of the mixed mish mash of mythology and the characters a little tiresome after a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this book! Thanks for your awesome review because it just gets me amped up for the next one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wasn't too blown away by the book mostly because Helen was way too focused on Lucas, with the plot that didn't leave an much of an impression. Nevertheless, I'm glad you liked it and hope the second book's better.

    Grace
    Lust For Stories

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a huge fan of this series! I love Greek Mythology and I love how all the characters have these powers like super heroes. Thanks for the review!
    -Cali W.

    ReplyDelete