Saturday, August 20, 2011

Review - The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Title and Author: The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: February 15th, 2010
Paperback/Hardcover: 336
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal

Summary:
Violet Ambrose is grappling with two major issues: Jay Heaton and her morbid secret ability. While the sixteen-year-old is confused by her new feelings for her best friend since childhood, she is more disturbed by her "power" to sense dead bodies—or at least those that have been murdered. Since she was a little girl, she has felt the echoes that the dead leave behind in the world... and the imprints that attach to their killers.
Violet has never considered her strange talent to be a gift; it mostly just led her to find the dead birds her cat had tired of playing with. But now that a serial killer has begun terrorizing her small town, and the echoes of the local girls he's claimed haunt her daily, she realizes she might be the only person who can stop him.
Despite his fierce protectiveness over her, Jay reluctantly agrees to help Violet on her quest to find the murderer—and Violet is unnerved to find herself hoping that Jay's intentions are much more than friendly. But even as she's falling intensely in love, Violet is getting closer and closer to discovering a killer... and becoming his prey herself

Review:
Once I read about The Body Finder I was immediately interested in it. The premise is really interesting and the book did not disappoint me. I enjoyed it a lot.
The Body Finder is the story of Violet, a sixteen year old who has a very special ability. Violet sensed what she calls Echoes (smells, tastes or visions) of the dead. She is drawn to those Echoes that lead her to dead bodies. When the bodies of several young girls start showing up in Violet’s hometown, her ability might put her in danger.
I really liked Violet. She was easy to relate to and cheer for. Violet is incredibly brave and willing to use her abilities to stop the killer terrorizing her town. She’s also caring and funny. All in all, Violet is a great heroin.
Jay, Violet’s best friend, was great as well. I couldn’t help falling a little bit in love with him. He’s fun, caring and sweet. He’s also very protective of everyone he likes, especially Violet. It was obvious from the start Jay was interested in Violet (and her on him) but it took them a little while to actually confess their feelings for each other. I really liked the fact Jay seemed to be completely sure he and Violet would eventually get together.
When Violet and Jay finally get together their relationship is very intense. There are great scenes between them and it is quite obvious that they are in love with each other.
Violet and Jay’s friends were all very fun as well and all of them added something to the story.
Another thing I really liked was the mystery part of the story and the fact we got a good look inside the mind of the killer. We get to read about his intentions and what he feels when he’s on the hunt for a new victim.
Overall I really did enjoy The Body Finder. The book is very well written. It is easy to relate and like the characters, who come off as real.
The Body Finder is a fun, interesting and entertaining read I would recommend to anyone who likes this genre. I can’t wait to read Desires of the Dead now!

Rating: Somewhere Between Worth Your Time and Must Read (4 ½ Stars)

9 comments:

  1. Great review! I look forward to read this book! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also really enjoyed the 'evil one' in this novel. His perspective was just creepy enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one, too! The parts with the killer were really good :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have just got this book myself and can't wait to read it. I have the next book coming in the post very soon :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't usually read books about ghosts or dead people, but I've already got this one on my wishlist due to all the good reviews it's got on lots of blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought this book was fantastic! You have this creepy scary new paranormal-ish power that no one has any idea what to do with. And I especially love how Kimberly Derting threw in some things from the killer's PoV so we'd get all hyped up and terrified of what'd happen to Violet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this bbok...kimberly derting is one of my fave author :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good review! I've been very interested in reading this one but haven't had a chance yet (you know, all those other darn books on the TBR list that keep getting in the way!!) - but the more I read reviews of it, the more I want to read it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this book! I love the way Kimberly Derting keeps you in suspense. Thanks for the review!
    -Cali W.

    ReplyDelete