Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Review - The Fault In Our Stars by John Green

Title and Author: The Fault In Our Stars by John Green
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Publication Date: January 10th, 2012
Paperback/Hardcover: 318
Genre: Young Adult 


Summary:
Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 12, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.
Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.
Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind

Review:
I can’t start this review without saying that The Fault In Our Stars is definitely a tear-jerker. An amazing and brilliant tear-jerker.
This book tugs at your heart in the best way possible. I knew I would like it but I underestimated just how much it would get to me by being so brutally honest and touching.
Hazel Lancaster is a cancer survivor who need an oxygen tank to keep her lungs functioning. She’s a bit of a loner but when she meets Augustus Waters during one of her weekly support group meetings they can’t help but to bond over books and the issues they have to deal with. Even though Hazel never believed love was for her, Augustus might just prove her wrong…
Hazel was such a good main character! She’s strong and honest and even though she had gone through a lot she is always able to keep her sense of humor and she’s always ready to enjoy the good things in her life. She often worries about hurting the ones closer to her when she dies and even tries to keep Augustus away because of that. She’s not perfect, though. She has flaws like everybody and her feelings and emotions are complicated.
Augustus is the type of character that you can’t help but to immediately like. He was able to win me over the moment he appeared in the story. He’s definitely a complex young man. He’s funny, intelligent and sweet and incredibly likeable.
The relationship between Hazel and Augustus developed quickly, which definitely works in this book. They were definitely meant to be together and their story is full of emotional and sweet moments.
I definitely loved this book. It is very well-written and there’s a perfect balance between funny and witty moments and those incredibly sad ones.
As I’m sure you can tell I feel in love with the characters in this book and their stories. I couldn’t have enjoyed this book more and I’m sure any Young Adult fan will too.

Rating: Must Read (5 Stars)

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like you would have to be in the right frame of mind to read this.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every review I read about this book is glowing...I am just a bit afraid of a tear jerker though....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say, I couldn't get a review post of the book up because there simply weren't enough words I could use to give this book justice. It was extraordinary, broke my heart, and left me sitting there thinking, "Why did it have to end?"
    The twist in the end about Augustus pretty much made me want to scream at the world, "WHY HIM? WHY?" The plot was fantastic, the dialogue witty and intelligent, and faced such a difficult topic with enough fact that it didn't seem fake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems that I al the only person on this planet who still hasn't read a John Green novel. I heard this one got a movie deal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes they are making a movie based on this book--Can't wait! Loved this book as well. Cried through most of it! I knew it was going to be a sad ending, but it had a nice closure sense about it that I liked.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read a lot of reviews and my friends tell me they love it, that I'm going to totally fall in love with Augustus, and I know I will,that it has a n ending that goes in accordance to the book (and that tell us something, right?)I know, Iknow I'm gonna cry like crazy and everything but
    still I'm scared to read...

    ReplyDelete