Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Review - The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie

Title and Author: The Seven Dials Mystery by Agatha Christie
Publisher: Harper Collins
Publication Date: 1929
Paperback: 375 Pages
Genre: Mystery, Suspense
Summary:
Reclusive tycoon Sir Oswald Coote and his melancholy wife, Lady Coote, have hit upon the ideal plan to spice up their quiet lives. They'll host a lavish weekend party at Chimneys, their isolated estate, and invite only "bright young things." But the festive mood is clouded by doom. A practical joke involving seven clocks and a sleeping guest has ended in accidental death—and cause for alarm. For the guests may not be all that they appear. And as whispers of a strange club called Seven Dials echo through the halls of Chimneys, all hands will be pointing to murder...

Review:
So, I really do like Agatha Christie, as some of you know already, and I have been trying to read as many of her books as I can. I’m taking a break from Poirot to read other books by Christie and The Seven Dials Mystery was in my to be read list for a while already so I picked it up and I’m really glad I did. Once more I was not disappointed.
In the Seven Dials Mystery Agatha Christie takes us back to Chimneys, the country manor house of The Secret of Chimneys.
This time the mystery involves the murder of Gerry Wade during his sleep and a secret society of seven possible criminals who meet wearing masks so their identity is not disclosed.
I liked the characters in this book. I thought they were well drawn and interesting. Agatha Christie describeds them and forms their personalities perfectly.
Bundle, the main character, is clever and spunky and adventurous. She can’t keep quiet and is always looking for a new adventure.
Jimmy and Bill were entertaining as the two male leads. They appear to be a little obtuse but there’s a lot more about them than what you first learn.
What I came to expect from Agatha Christie is a well written book, with interesting characters and an engaging plot. The Seven Dials Mystery definitely has all three of those elements.
Plus, the end came as somewhat of a surprise for me, which I always enjoy immensely.
If you like mystery this is definitely a must read for you!

Rating:  Must Read

3 comments:

  1. Well, I like Agatha Christie too, but I have read only a few books. I read her book, "Passenger to Frankfurt" this month and didn't enjoy it. After that, I didn't feel like reading any more Christie books.

    But this seven dial mystery sounds interesting, I will see if I can get hold of this one. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never read any Agatha Christie...what is wrong with me? This is definitely on my TBR list.

    New follower...

    demitrialunetta.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mysteries (cozy, historical, and classic ones) and have read most of the Agatha Christie books. This is one of my favorites and I've read it several times. I like how they play a joke with the alarm clocks under the bed. I started reading Agatha Christie when I was a teenager (more than 20 years ago).

    ReplyDelete