Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Review - Fracture by Megan Miranda

Title and Author: Fracture by Megn Miranda
Publisher: Walker Childrens
Publication Date: January 17th, 2012
Paperback/Hardcover: 262
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal

Summary:
Eleven minutes passed before Delaney Maxwell was pulled from the icy waters of a Maine lake by her best friend Decker Phillips. By then her heart had stopped beating. Her brain had stopped working. She was dead. And yet she somehow defied medical precedent to come back seemingly fine. Everyone wants Delaney to be all right, but she knows she's far from normal. Pulled by strange sensations she can't control or explain, Delaney finds herself drawn to the dying. Is her altered brain now predicting death, or causing it?

Then Delaney meets Troy Varga, who recently emerged from a coma with similar abilities. At first she's reassured to find someone who understands the strangeness of her new existence, but Delaney soon discovers that Troy's motives aren't quite what she thought. Is their gift a miracle, a freak of nature-or something much more frightening? 

Review:
I thought the blurb for Fracture was very interesting and that was what made me pick this book up. I’m glad I did because this is, indeed, a very exciting and different story.
Delaney should be dead after she falls under thin ice but she somehow – and thanks to her best friend - survived, even after 11 minutes submerged in ice cold water. Her MRIs show some brain damage but she seems to be completely fine.  The only problem is… She can now sense when others around her are about to die.
Then Delaney meets a college student named Troy who seems to know a lot about her and her new ability.
I think Delaney was a good main character. She’s, understandably, confused and wants to know exactly what’s happening to her. She wants to make things right but quickly finds out there are a few things she just can’t fight against.
I think Decker – Delaney’s best friend – was my favorite character. He was so great! He’s protective and considerate and, even though he too made several wrong decisions it’s obvious he really does love Delaney and just wants her to be safe and happy. I just wanted to hug him every time it became clear he blamed himself for Delaney’s accident.
Now, Troy was definitely a strange character. He could be quite creepy sometimes and I was never sure what to wait for from him.
I kept looking for an explanation for the connection between Delaney and Troy and their ability but you have to keep reading until the end for the big twist in this story!
All in all I really did enjoy this book. It’s well-written, different and entertaining. The characters in Fracture are interesting and the story is fast-paced.
There’s something for everyone in this book: mystery and adventure as well as a little romance.
Fracture is definitely a good psychological thriller any Young Adult and Paranormal fan will be able to enjoy.

Rating: Somewhere Between Worth Your Time and Must Read ( 4 ½ Stars)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I started this book and wasn't too fond of it, but maybe I'll try reading it again. :)

    Alexandra~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good! I like surprising twists before the end, I should check it out. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review! Decker is my favorite character to. Troy kind of creeps me out. This wasn't really one of my favorite books. I think there is going to be a sequel though.
    -Cali W.

    ReplyDelete