Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Review - Siege and Storm (Grisha 02) by Leigh Bardugo


Title and Author: Siege and Storm (Grisha 02) by Leigh Bardugo  
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co. 
Publication Date: June 4th, 2013
Paperback/Hardcover: 435 
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal 
Find it at: Goodreads /


Summary:  
Darkness never dies.
Hunted across the True Sea, haunted by the lives she took on the Fold, Alina must try to make a life with Mal in an unfamiliar land. She finds starting new is not easy while keeping her identity as the Sun Summoner a secret. She can’t outrun her past or her destiny for long.
The Darkling has emerged from the Shadow Fold with a terrifying new power and a dangerous plan that will test the very boundaries of the natural world. With the help of a notorious privateer, Alina returns to the country she abandoned, determined to fight the forces gathering against Ravka. But as her power grows, Alina slips deeper into the Darkling’s game of forbidden magic, and farther away from Mal. Somehow, she will have to choose between her country, her power, and the love she always thought would guide her--or risk losing everything to the oncoming storm.
  
Review:  
I really enjoyed Shadow and Bone so I couldn’t wait to read Siege and Storm and I’m happy to say the book did not disappoint me at all!
The Darkling won’t give up on Alina. Even as she tries to run away and start a life with Mal in a new place she finds out the Darkling has emerged from the Fold with new and dark powers.
With Mal’s and a privateer’s help, Alina returns to Ravka to try and stop the Darkling from spreading even more darkness. 
Alina is still a very good main character. There’s a lot on her plate so if she feels a little confused sometimes that is understandable. She’s strong and smart and I believe she really is trying to do what’s best for everyone even of her judgement gets a little clouded by her own needs and wants sometimes. Isn’t that normal, though?
Mall is still present as well and he’s as brave, smart, protective and sweet as before. His feelings for Alina are clear and he just wants to be with her and help her however he can even if he doesn’t always agree with her choices. He’s loyal and the type of person you would want by your side during a crises.
Now, the Darkling is probably my favourite character in this series. He’s extremely complex and I wanted him to have been more present in this book. I can’t fully decide if he truly is evil or just really believes his is the only way Ravka can be saved and the Grisha preserved. Either way, he’s extremely intelligent and charming and as his powers grows he definitely makes bad – or at least dark – look good. I can’t wait to learn more about him, his past and intentions.
There are a few new characters in this book and Sturmhond is definitely my favourite! He’s fun, smart and savvy. He’s very adaptable and charming and knows how to be exactly who he needs to be in every situation.  He’s definitely a breath of fresh air and I definitely want to read more about him.
I’m not going to say much about the romance component of the book because I have to confess I don’t know if I’m Team Darkling, Teal Mal or Team Sturmhond anymore!
Plotwise, I enjoyed reading about the ‘Team Alina’ attempts to stop the Darkling and put together a string enough army. I liked the little twits and turns and surprises in the story. The plot develops nicely and keeps the reader interested and curious.
All in all, Siege and Storm is a great addiction to the series. The story moves along nicely, the characters are interesting and you can’t help wanting to learn more about them.
The book is very well-written and the author once again did a wonderful job explaining and describing the world created. Plus, with that little cliffhanger at the end, I can’t wait to read the next book in the series.
If you are a fan of Young Adult, Paranormal and Fantasy you definitely should read this series!

Rating:  Somewhere Between  Worth Your Time and Must Read (4 ½  Stars)





1 comment:

  1. I think it's interesting how much you mention the Darkling in this book because one of my complaints about it was that I didn't think he was in it enough. I thought his relationship with Alina was so good in S&B and I wanted much more than was portrayed here.

    ReplyDelete