Saturday, October 22, 2011

Jennifer Hubbard Interview




Jennifer Hubbard was kind enough to answer a few of my questions. 
I hope you enjoy it!






1 - Tell us a little bit about yourself? 
JH: I live in Pennsylvania. Besides writing, I like to hike. I write contemporary young-adult stories because I’ve always loved reading them. I share my house with a wonderful husband and a melodramatic cat.

2 - Have you always wanted to be a writer?
JH: Yes, pretty much. I loved to read, but it got to the point where I wanted to be the one telling the stories. I used to make my own picture books when I was about six.

3 – Is there anything that is essential for you to be able to write?
JH: I prefer to write with my door closed, music on, and a glass of water at hand. But I can write almost anywhere if I have to.

4 - I think The Secret Year is a very interesting story. How did you come up with it? What inspired you to write it? 
JH: I don’t know exactly where the idea came from. I started with the idea of a secret relationship, a sudden death, and a diary left behind. I wrote it to find out what was in the diary, why the relationship had to be secret, and what would happen next.

5 – In The Secret Year Julia’s diary is essential in understanding the relationship between Julia and Colt. Did you plan the diary to play such an important part in the story?
JH: The diary enables Julia to have a voice, but it also means that Colt continues having a relationship with her, in a way. He’s not only dealing with the Julia of the past, but it’s almost as if she’s still there, speaking to him. The diary was always an essential part of the story.
I think many of us sometimes wish we could see inside other people’s heads and know what they really think of us. With the diary, Colt gets this chance, but he doesn’t always like what he discovers.

6 – Do you have a favorite character for The Secret Year? If yes, who and why?
JH: I love all my characters, even the ones I don’t like. But I think Tom and Syd would be the best choices for real-life friends. And Colt is special just because he’s the one I spent the most time with.

7- What was the most difficult aspect of writing The Secret Year.
JH: The ending. I had a hard time figuring out where the story ended, and how to close it realistically yet in a satisfying way.

8 – What author or authors influenced you the most?
JH: Everyone I’ve read has influenced me, I’m sure, but Jack Kerouac was one of the most influential. His stream-of-consciousness style is a lot like some of my first drafts.

9 - Are you working on a new book right now? 
JH: My second novel, Try Not to Breathe, comes out in January 2012. It’s the story of a boy recovering from a suicide attempt, and his relationship with a girl who is visiting psychics to try to reach her dead father.

10 - Is there anything else you would like your readers to know?
JH: Keep reading! (Not just my books. Everything.)  :-)


Thank you so much, Jennifer! :)

You can find Jennifer at:

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for Try Not to Breathe. I think it sounds like a great emotional read that touches on a very important subject.

    ReplyDelete