Thursday, August 30, 2012

Interview with Susan Wiggs author of the Lakeshore Chronicles

Interview with Susan Wiggs author of the Lakeshore Chronicles




1 - Have you always wanted to be a writer? If not, what did you want to be?

SW: I was born a writer, telling stories as soon as I could talk. But I’ve always been interested in many things. Growing up, I wanted to be lots of things–a ballerina, an explorer, a dog trainer, a nurse, an artist, a skier...anything that sounded fun and creative, I was there.


2- What inspired you to write the Lakeshore Chronicles?

SW: Lots of things–my nostalgia for the beauty of upstate New York, my still-unrequited yearning to go to summer camp, my inability to let go of characters after their story is done...It’s a really good fit for me, creatively.


3 - What would you say is the hardest part of writing a book series?

SW: Keeping track of everyone! Births, deaths, marriages, gender, eye color, you name it. It’s a juggling act and I’ve made some goofs, but my readers are really polite about it. They’re like, ahem, three books ago that little girl was a baby BOY. Oops.


4 - Who are some of your favorite authors? Why?

SW: Ah, so many. Too many to name. This fall, the books I’m excited about reading are by Tess Gerritsen, Lisa Gardner, Luanne Rice, Barbara Delinsky, Catherine Coulter, Jane Porter...I have them stacked on my nightstand like air traffic over O’Hare. Why? Because I love to read and I love to be swept into a story, and all of the aforementioned really sweep you away.


5 - What can you tell us about the upcoming Return to Willow Lake?

SW: It’s got the prettiest endpapers you’ve ever seen. And the reason you can’t see my hands in the author photo is that my right arm was in a giant cast after surgery #2 to put hardware in my wrist, which I shattered while skateboarding by holding a speeding Doberman Pinscher on a leash in Brisbane, Australia. There. Aren’t you glad you asked? :-)


6 - Is there anything else you would like your readers to know?

SW: That I’m incredibly grateful for each and every one of them who takes the tie to slow down and curl up with one of my books. It’s so humbling and affirming. Thank you!



Thank you, Susan! Be sure to check out Return to Willow Lake!

1 comment: