Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Review - Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Divergent 02)

Title and Author: Insurgent by Veronica Roth (Divergent 02)
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: May 1st, 2012
Paperback/Hardcover: 525
Genre: Young Adult, Dystopia


Summary:
One choice can transform you--or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.
Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.
  

Review:
Like a lot of people I was eagerly waiting for Insurgent to be released. I really enjoyed Divergent and was quite excited for Insurgent. Gladly, the book did not disappoint me.
Insurgent picks up exactly where Divergent left off. Tris and the others are still on that same train they were on the end of Divergent and Erudite is still trying to dominate the other factions. The full scope of Tris’ Divergence is exposed as she and Tobias are faced with several decisions and events that might change everything, including their society as they know it.
The characters we came to know and love (or hate) in Divergent are back.  Tris is still as strong and determined as in the first book. A lot happens to her and she faces tough decisions and suffering but she’s always able to put herself back together and keep fighting. Some of her decisions and actions drove me a little crazy because they would so obviously put her in grave danger but, at the same time, I could understand where she was coming from. Plus, I liked the fact all the decisions she made changed her somehow and made her an even better character.
Now, when it comes to Four, or Tobias, I really liked him in Divergent but I think that in Insurgent he’s an even better character. I loved the moments of insight into his past and the person he really is. He has his own issues and problems and there’s a lot he needs to deal with. His decisions are as important and Tris’s and might change everything.
The relationship between Tris and Tobias is a very interesting one. It’s obvious they love each other but there are many obstacles they need to overcome to be able to be together. The moments they spend together are great and they make an awesome couple but, as the book develops, they find themselves at odds more than once.
All the secondary characters like Uriah, Ch.ristina and Marcus are back and all of them have something to add to the story
There’s not a slow moment in Insurgence and all the action, and twist and turns kept me completely interested in the story. I couldn’t put this book down, I just had to know what would happen next! It’s not all action and drama, though, there’s some humor in Insurgent as well, which I think added to the story.
Another thing I really enjoyed in this book was the fact we get to know a little bit more about the other factions, the way they work and what their members believe in. We also learn more about the factionless and some of their plans.
All in all, Insurgent didn’t disappoint me at all. The book is well-written, fast-paced and full of great characters, action and unexpected moments.
The book ends in a cliffhanger and now I can’t, once more, wait to find out what will happen next.
If you like Young Adult and Dystopia books with an interesting plot and well-developed characters you definitely need to start reading this series!

Rating: Somewhere Between Worth Your Time and Must Read (4 ½ Stars)

4 comments:

  1. I also really liked this book and can't wait for the next one in the series to come out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one too! My favorite aspect was that we got to see the other factions, like you mentioned. That was just so interesting to me. Especially learning about Amity since we hadn't know hardly anything about them from Divergent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVED this sequel. I enjoyed it much more than Divergent. GAH!!! I need book 3 :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. EEEKK!!! Veronica Roth is among the only authors I truly fangirl over, and I definitely did love Insurgent! Can't wait for the trilogy finale!!!

    ReplyDelete