Friday, August 24, 2012

Review - Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles 01) by Jessica Spotswood

Title and Author: Born Wicked (The Cahill Witch Chronicles 01) by Jessica Spotswood
Publisher: Putnam Juvenile
Publication Date: January 25th, 2012
Paperback/Hardcover: 330
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal


Summary:
Everybody knows Cate Cahill and her sisters are eccentric. Too pretty, too reclusive, and far too educated for their own good. But the truth is even worse: they’re witches. And if their secret is discovered by the priests of the Brotherhood, it would mean an asylum, a prison ship—or an early grave.
Before her mother died, Cate promised to protect her sisters. But with only six months left to choose between marriage and the Sisterhood, she might not be able to keep her word... especially after she finds her mother’s diary, uncovering a secret that could spell her family’s destruction. Desperate to find alternatives to their fate, Cate starts scouring banned books and questioning rebellious new friends, all while juggling tea parties, shocking marriage proposals, and a forbidden romance with the completely unsuitable Finn Belastra.
If what her mother wrote is true, the Cahill girls aren’t safe. Not from the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood—not even from each other.
  

Review:
I’ll go ahead and start this review by saying I’m not a big fan of witches but I still loved Born Wicked. The story had me hooked from the start and I couldn’t stop reading until the end.
Born Wicked is the story of the Cahill sisters, 3 girls who area anything but ordinary. In a time a society where girls were expected to be proper girls and witches were haunted down and killed, Cate Cahill and her sisters are considered to be eccentric. No one knows just how eccentric they really are, though. All three sisters are withes and much to Cate’s dismay and worry she finds out they are the center of a prophecy that could change everything. If that wasn’t enough Cate finds herself torn between two boys she cares about while having to learn how to juggle tea parties and the attention of the Brotherhood.
Cate is a wonderful main character and it was easy to like and relate to her. She is very protective of her sisters and is willing to do anything to keep them safe, including giving up her chance to be happy. She’s strong and determined and very intelligent.
Cate’s sisters are very different from her. While Tess, the younger sister, is sweet, intelligent and mature, Maura is extremely rebellious and stubborn.
Even though I liked Paul and though he was an interesting character, Finn was the one that won my heart. He’s sweet, intelligent, accepting and protective.
The romance in this book was amazing. Finn works in a bookstore but he also becomes the Cahill’s gardener for some extra cash. Cate loves her flowers and as she hovers around Finn to make sure he doesn’t do anything wrong they slowly fall in love. There are several sweet moments between them and I loved the fact Finn was so accepting of Cate and didn’t care if she ever acted in some less than ladylike way.
Even though she clearly has feeling for Finn, Cate finds herself divided between him and Paul, her childhood friend, who has become a charming man and asks her to marry him.
Love triangles bother me sometimes but this one didn’t. It is very well-written and the romance develops in such a way the reader is able to understand why Cate is torn between the two boys, even though it is obvious who she’s truly in love with.
I really enjoyed the way the story developed and how Cate was forced to make several important decisions that might change everything for her family and all the society. There are a few twists and turns that made the story even more interesting and gripping. As we learn more about the prophecy, the brotherhood and the sisterhood, the pace of the story picks up, making the reader want to keep turn pages right until the end.
As you can tell, I really enjoyed this book. Born Wicked is a very well-written and fast-paced story with wonderful characters and an even better love story. There’s a little something for everyone in this book: action, mystery, romance, intrigue and a little bit of history and mythology.
The book ends in a cliffhanger that left me wishing for more. I can’t wait for the next book in the series now.
If you’re a Young Adult, Paranormal fan you should definitely pick this book up.

Rating: Somewhere Between Worth Your Time and Must Read (4 ½ Stars)

5 comments:

  1. I loved this book as well. I agree that Paul was a great guy, but Finn won my heart as well. I loved how progressive he was in his thinking and actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gr8 review. i really hope to read it soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that a novel can have everything for someone to enjoy. I love books like those because there are always more things I enjoyed compared to the number things I disliked.

    Born Wicked has been on my to-read list for a while and I now realize that I should get to this book soon. Love triangles, sisterly bonds and magic, what more do I need?

    Angie @YA Novelties

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't really like this book. It was reallyyyyy predictable. Cate and Finn were of course, predictable, but I like them. Finn is a cool guy. I'm not sure if Cate deserves him lol. I understand Cate's rationale for everything, but I don't like her very much. This book is pretty good, but it's definitely not my favorite of the year. It took me a while to get into this book as well. But it got a solid 3 stars from me. Thanks for the review!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this was a pretty good read. I didn't love it but it shows real promise. I liked Finn pretty well ;)

    ReplyDelete